There are no Taylor Swift songs about the number 19, but we will go ahead and be pleased with the Wildcats jumping into the top 20 of this week's AP Poll after a 44-30 win against Cal.
NU was 22 to start the season -- in case you didn't notice that -- and with TCU, Oregon State, and Boise State losing, those three teams dropped below Northwestern. The Wildcats also passed Nebraska, who really, really, really struggled against Wyoming, but were passed by UCLA after the Bruins dominated Nevada.
Obviously, we're pretty disappointed with the fact that I can no longer think about Taylor Swift when I think about the Wildcats. But I really think I'm going to settle for being in the top 20. Northwestern was last a top 20 team, well, at the end of last year, when the Cats finished the year at No. 17, but before that you'd have to go back to 2001.
And you know what? I think we can keep dancing like we're 22 regardless of where the stupid AP Poll ranks our team.
The Wildcats are also ranked No. 20 in the Coaches Poll, with the difference being Nebraska one ahead of NU instead of three behind.
Here's a full look at the rankings:
|3||Ohio State (1)||1-0||1,330||2|
|Others Receiving Votes: Miami (FL) 127, Mississippi 50, Arizona State 48, Michigan State 42, Northern Illinois 27, Cincinnati 27, Fresno State 22, Virginia Tech 12, Bowling Green 9, Georgia Tech 8, Arizona 6, Penn State 4, Boise State 3, Virginia 2, Arkansas 1|
More from Sippin' On Purple:
- Apparently we need to talk about Northwestern faking injuries vs. Cal
- Northwestern-Syracuse depth chart: Kain Colter, Venric Mark injuries remain mysterious, Dwight White starting
- Daniel Jones injury: Northwestern Wildcats CB out for season after injury vs. Cal
- Northwestern vs. Cal: Collin Ellis' monster game proves I am a smartypants/genius and that you should read everything I say
- Northwestern vs. Cal: Trevor Siemian, Treyvon Green pick up with Kain Colter, Venric Mark injured
- Northwestern vs. Cal: Heroic Wildcats shoot down hippie Bears